Sunday, August 28, 2011

Zucchini Cake Sandwich Cookies

This past week I have lived through an earthquake, a hurricane, and a tornado warning. Sounds impressive, huh? In actuality it was a little tremor that lasted 5 seconds, a heavy rainstorm, and no tornado. We were bracing for 8-12 inches of rain, but only got around 5. Forget that 3 1/2 of that ended up in our basement...

Alright, back to baking! It's zucchini season! If you have a garden and have planted zucchini, or know anyone who has, then you know how sometimes you can get a few too many zucchini. I love growing it and making both sweet and savory things, but I kind of get stuck in a rut by the end of it all. I remember a couple of summers ago when we had zucchini in every meal for a week. I think that was the week I decided to start shredding and freezing what zucchini we had left.


I was so excited when one of the first zucchini recipes I found this season was for something I had never made before. Jenn over at Eat Cake For Dinner made some zucchini cake sandwich cookies modeled after carrot cake sandwich cookies. Genius! This year my little girl planted the seeds for our zucchini, so it's fun to tell her that we are eating what she planted. And it's even better when it's for dessert!


Zucchini Cake Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from Eat Cake For Dinner
Printer Friendly Version

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oats
1 cup grated zucchini
Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe below

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside. Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the oats and grated zucchini and mix very well. Dough will be pretty sticky, and will spread when baking. Drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, using a small cookie scoop.

Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.

Spread cream cheese frosting on the flat side of one cookie and top with the flat side of another cookie. Store in the refrigerator.


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese (1 cube), room temperature
12 tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/2 cubes), room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond extracts. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until smooth.

39 comments:

  1. These look so delish...love anything with zucchini!
    Stop by to enter General Mills giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM YUM YUM these look so tasty... even better they have a veggie in them ;) the kids will never know ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I am so hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good! I WISH I had a garden overflowing with zucchini. But I'd go buy some to make these. Thanks for the recipe, and glad you survived mother nature this weekend!
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am always trying to find sneaky ways to get my kids to eat their veggies (and we're vegetarians HA!) i am so excited to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so good, I've got two huge zucchinis on my counter right now ready to be transformed, I'm definitely going to give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man! yummy. I just made zucchini bread and now I think I should have made these. these are so great. what a fun blog too!

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so delish...I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/08/sweet-saturday-v2.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound amazing! can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg girl!!! thank you thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful cookie made with an ingredient I just love. This for sharing. Come over and visit us. We lived through a hurricane here in NC and the earthquake too. We have a wonderful low fat pimento cheese recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. These cookies look AMAZING! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious- I'm definitely trying them. Always looking for ways to get my husband to eat his veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to make these!!! I have a giant pile of zucchinis from my garden waiting to become cookies!! i found you on NJAHW

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe looks amazing! Please join in on the fun and come over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow to share this tasty recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look awesome. This is my first visit to your blog. I found you through Cast Party Wednesday! Now I am following...thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmm....zucchini AND cream cheese frosting?!? 2 of my faves. Can't wait to try them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun idea! I love zucchini cake! My favorite use for zucchini so far has been this Pineapple Zucchini Cake adapted from the Tasty Kitchen site, but I can't wait to try these cookies!

    http://www.myopenfridge.com/2010/08/zucchini-at-its-best.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am going to try this!! Love your pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry about your basement flooding! I hate when that happens. Normally, I'm not a huge zucchini fan, but these sandwich cookies looks amazing! And cream cheese frosting is never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for posting! I love zucchini. I'm a new follower, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, these look so yummy, especially with that frosting! Thank you for linking your wonderful recipe to Fat Camp Friday. I would also love for you to join my new forums and link up your website and any linky parties you host! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh YUM!!! These look amazing! My kids would go nuts over these, I can't wait to make them! Found you through Simply Delish Saturday, and I'm so happy that I did! :)

    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  25. weren't the storms crazy! but not too crazy, thank goodness. these look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks yummy.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Delish!

    Thanks for stopping by sweet tooth Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, these look delicious! I love the filling. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am really digging these...could eat about 20 after the workout I just had cleaning my house! Thanks for sharing these with me last week, sorry for the delay in visiting.

    Tea Party Tuesday link up is open again, would love to have you back! http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/2011/09/tea-party-tuesday-tea-party-sweets.html

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow! these look and sound so good! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look delicious can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. CONGRATUALTIONS!!! Your recipe has been featured on Lady Behind The Curtain "Feature Friday" Go grab a button!
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=14717

    ReplyDelete
  33. YUM YUM YUM! These are awesome and I am always looking for ways to use zucchinis! :) Thank you for sharing this at our Strut Your Stuff Link Party! We hope that you will join us again tomorrow!!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yum!!! I've never heard of this, but it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. YUM! These look incredible! I added this to my zucchini board - my kids would love these! :)
    Ang, Juggling Act Mama

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete